Artificial intelligence, machine learning, human-computer communication, dialogue systems and machine translation are areas of high research and development (R&D) potential. Employees of the Artificial Intelligence Department are experienced in industrial research and experimental development in these fields. Our solutions implemented in industry include:
- Application of image recognition in recommendation systems
- Computational methods in natural language processing
- Intelligent systems to support medical diagnostics
- Intelligent tutoring systems
- Image processing and analysis (including the study of perceptual quality assessment of multimedia materials – quality assessments metrics)
- Machine Translation
- Semantic search engines
- The use of intelligent systems in the assessment of industrial manufacturing processes (management of the industrial production process and assessment of manufacturing processes)
Cooperation with Samsung Electronics Ltd
The Department of Artificial Intelligence have been cooperating with the Samsung Electronics Ltd company in the field of natural language processing.
The collaboration was started with a 3-month pilot project called Machine Translation Modules, which took place between 1/10/2012 and 28/02/2013. The aim of the project was to apply the tools developed at AMU in the research project “Publicly available tools for the automatic processing of the Polish language” in the development of new algorithms used in automatic translation, such as:
- Bilingual corpora alignment at the sentence level
- Bilingual corpora alignment at the word level
- Generation of correctly constructed sentences from the token list returned by the statistical automatic translation system.
Since 2015, cooperation between UAM and Samsung Electronics have been carried out in the form of annual projects called “Research in the field of Natural Language Processing 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020”. Projects, on the part of UAM are conducted by the head of the Department of Artificial Intelligence, prof. Krzysztof Jassem, and are attended by other employees of the Department, AMU PhD and AMU MSc students.
The goal of the projects is to develop speech recognition algorithms for four European languages (English, French, Spanish and German) and to construct speech understanding modules in these languages. Deep machine learning and finite-state methods are applied in the experiments. The solutions developed under the projects are implemented in Samsung mobile devices.